Transfer Vehicles, Vessels, & Outboard Motors

Small Estate Vehicle Transfers

Caution must be taken in transferring vehicles, as Utah Code Annotated 41-1a-705(5) imposes a class B misdemeanor for violating the rules of vehicle transfers.

If 1) no probate has been filed or there is not trust in place, 2) you are entitled to the vehicle, 3) there are no outstanding debts or creditors, and 4) the entire estate (wherever property is located) is valued less than $100,000, then you can transfer a car utilizing the Utah DMV's Survivorship Affidavit. If these facts do not reflect your circumstances, you will need to transfer the vehicle using one of the other options below.

If the buyer request a bill of sale, the seller can use the following form.

Executor or Trustee Vehicle Transfers

If a probate has been filed in court and an Executor, or "Personal Representative," has been appointed to administer the estate, they can sell the car.  Under Utah Code 41-1a-705(2)(b), a court-appointed Personal Representative or Trustee can can transfer a car by assigning the title as the seller.  If the buyer requests a bill of sale from the seller, you could use the following Utah DMV Bill of Sale form.

Utah DMV Survivorship Affidavit

Updates to this resource are made online  to the Utah DMV Survivorship Affidavit

Utah DMV Bill of Sale

Updates to this resource are made online  to the Utah DMV Bill of Sale